After moving into the apartment a few weeks ago, it’s finally looking a lot more cleaned up, organized, and really feels like home. Garrett and I talked about moving and looking for a new place for sometime. Since we both still want to move out of state, we decided we wanted to downsize and hopefully find a place that was less rent. After a couple weeks searching on Craigslist, we got lucky and found just the place. While it gets more snow than where we were and it’s a longer commute for Garrett, the area is quiet, the rent is less, and no more coin operated machines for us since we now have a washer and dryer!
Despite going from a 2bed/2bath apartment to a 1bed/1bath apartment, I’m happy to say that all of the furniture we wanted to take with us fits perfectly! Also since the layout of the apartment is more open, it doesn’t look or feel cramped. The both of us plus Annabell can move comfortably around the kitchen without bumping into each other. I’m also happy to say that all of my clothes fit in the closet! The only thing I’m not crazy about is the living room,bedroom,and bathroom are painted a light blue ,however the kitchen is a yellow nightmare and needs some work done. Unfortunately we can’t repaint the yellow walls, however we can redo the mustard yellow countertops if we want to.
Aside from a few shelves,mirrors, and some wall art that needs to be put up, there are a few more things I want to buy for the new place to give it that extra special touch.
Here are a few photos of what the apartment currently looks like.
Things to buy:
- Shelves- While the layout of the apartment is more open, the only real storage is in the bedroom. To keep it from being over-stuffed and to add some extra space and detail to the walls I ordered the short and medium length lack shelves in white from IKEA. I’m thinking of ordering more of these for the dining area for a makeshift shelving unit.
- Ladder- I love the idea of using a ladder to hang blankets from.Not only does it prevent the sofa from drowning in blankets, it also with keeping things neat and organized. I’m deciding between this one from Target which is also a mirror(which we need) and has the storage in the back or this one from Wayfair which is minimal and simple.
- Rugs- While I’m happy to not have an entire apartment covered in carpet, I do like the look of a small are rug to add texture and an interesting detail to a room. I am obsessed with this one for the bedroom or this one that is similar.
- Workspace- Since space is limited, I’m thinking of getting a wall desk so I can have my own little work area. Since Garrett uses a desktop computer with dual monitors he actually needs a desk ,he finally found his ideal desk (from IKEA of course)
- Dresser-Depsite getting rid of bags upon bags of clothes I was worried there wouldn’t be enough storage for my using closets, let alone finding room for Garrett’s clothes too so we decided to bring one of my old dressers with us. While it serves it’s purpose I love the look of white furniture and want to make the change to something like this .This dresser is certainly different and eyecatching.
- Temporary Wallpaper- While I don’t hate the shade of blue in the bedroom, I am obsessed with the look of all white bedrooms. Since we can’t repaint the walls, I think we will finally end up buying the white brick temporary wall paper I’ve been wanting for a while.
- Wall Decor- One of my favorite things to browse for online. I certainly don’t think every wall should be covered in decor and wall art, but some areas will be left a little bare once we hang up the things that we do have. While this doesn’t exactly go with our décor, it has 3 of my favorite things combined into 1.Oliver Gal, skulls,and Mondrian style art. I also love this one, possibly for the dining area on the wall with the clock. Another great way to fill space is to put up a few small things together or spread out . I love these flowers from target that also come in pink and white.
I’ll probably make an updated post once some repairs have been made in the kitchen ,shelf organizers for the bathroom have been bought, and some things have been hung up on the wall. While packing and unpacking can be a little tedious, I do like the process of finding just the right spots to place things in and looking for a few new things to buy. I’m currently looking at some french press coffee makers( the last thing that Garrett and I could possibly need).
I’m hoping the next updated apartment post will be relatively soon, but until then I’m currently in the process of writing my next entry for the week. I hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great and productive week!