One of my favorite foods to eat is pasta and boxed pasta just doesn’t compare to freshly made homemade pasta. While the ingredients are simple, just flour and eggs, the process of making can be a labor of love. Grab a class of wine and put on some Dean Martin.
Here is the recipe I use for pasta. 2 Eggs for every 1 cup of flour. 1 Cup of flour per person.
- Scoop some flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs and pour them into the well. Combine the flour and eggs by hand.
- Once combined, put dough onto floured surface and continue to knead.
- Once the dough no longer feels tacky and has a smooth surface, it is done.
- Divide the dough ball into sections.
- Using a pasta machine or by hand roll dough out to desired thinness.
- Use machine or knife to cut into strips of desired width and/or shape.
- Once the pasta has been completed, I cook it in some salted boiling water.
- Homemade pasta doesn’t need to cook very long( about 2-3 minutes) and will puff up.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it in a colander. Pour the pasta into a serving dish and top with some sauce.
Simple Sauce(I don’t usually use a measuring spoon/cup so you will probably have to taste test as you add seasonings).I usually make the sauce first before making the pasta. That way it has time to cook.
- One large can of tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves ( roughly chopped.)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper(optional)
- Heat some oil into a pot and add garlic over medium heat.
- Once garlic starts to brown/soften, I add the tomato sauce
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Add parsley,oregano,and basil and stir to blend
- Let it simmer over low heat.